Simplify Resolving Windows 10 Upgrade Errors with SetupDiag and ConfigMgr

A few weeks ago Microsoft released a handy tool to help diagnose issues with Windows 10 upgrades called SetupDiag. The tool basically analyzes the Windows Setup logs against known issues and reports it’s findings in a log file. Troubleshooting Windows 10 setup is not the most fun activity, so using this tool certainly makes the process easier. To make it easier still, we can run it using SCCM, either standalone, or as part of a Windows 10 Upgrade task sequence.

Below is a simple PowerShell script wrapper that can be used to run the tool. It checks that the requirement of .Net 4.6 has been met then runs the tool, logging to the location you specify. In this example I am logging the results to the CCM Logs directory for convenience. It creates a file called Setupdiagresults.log and an archive called Logs.zip containing the Windows setup logs used.

Download the SetupDiag utility from here, and create a package in SCCM containing both SetupDiag.exe and the PS script in the same directory.

Add a Run PowerShell Script step to your task sequence and reference the package you created.

SetupTS

Here’s an example log file output from a successful upgrade:

SuccessfulUpgrade

 

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Simplify Resolving Windows 10 Upgrade Errors with SetupDiag and ConfigMgr

  1. Is there a way to redirect the log file to a share? I would like to make sure the client is ready for upgrade before i go.

  2. I am trying to run this from the TS and log was not created. So i am trying to run it manually and gettign an error in the log file:
    11:42:16 – SetupDiag: Main() failed with an unhandled exception:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Any idea what is the issue here? I am trying to scan windows 10 readiness for an upgrade.
    Thanks.

  3. Hey Trevor,

    The script/SetupDiag.exe doesn’t seem to work when the task sequence is deployed with “Access content directly from a distribution point” for some reason. According to the smsts.log the script runs to completion with a 0 exit code but no log is outputted. The script and package work when the deployment is switched off ” access content directly…” . Do you have any ideas why that deployment method could cause any issues?

    Thanks

  4. Hey Trevor,

    I noticed that when I tried to run the “Run-SetupDiag.ps1” script on a Windows 7 machine attempting the Windows 10 in-place upgrade, it was unable to interpret the “Get-ItemPropertyValue” command.

    I changed this line in the script to following, and it’s working correctly on Windows 7 machines now:

    If (Get-ChildItem “HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\” | Get-ItemProperty -Name Release | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Release | ForEach-Object { $_ -ge 393295 }) {

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s